The VCM is a great place to work and we thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful applicants for positions at the Victoria Conservatory of Music must undertake a current Criminal Record review.
All current opportunities are listed in the tabs on this page.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at the Victoria Conservatory of Music!
Position Title: Conductor, Senior String Orchestra, Strings Department, Ann & George Nation Conservatory School of Classical Music, Victoria Conservatory of Music
Application Deadline: 4:00 pm PDT, Sunday October 15, 2017
Submit cover letter and current CV with two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Start date: January 8, 2018
The position includes membership on the VCM Faculty, Strings Dept., and is contracted under a standard teaching agreement, as service provider to the VCM.
Founded in 1964, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) has earned an outstanding reputation of quality in education, performance and music therapy. As a music school for the whole community, the VCM welcomes students of all ages and musical abilities, and offers instruction in all musical genres including classical, folk, and contemporary. Each year, over 3,000 music students and over 1800 music therapy participants experience the extensive array of programs the VCM has to offer year-round.
The Ann & George Nation Conservatory School of Classical Music (CSCM) represents the historical core program area of the VCM, offering training in traditional Western European Classical Music, and is comprised of the Departments of Keyboard, Voice, Winds & Brass, and Strings, as well as courses in Classical Theory, and the high-level Young Artists Collegium, Opera Studio, and Advanced Voice Workshop programs. The Strings Department encompasses a faculty of currently 25 members, offering Studio Instruction, Instrumental Group Classes, and Ensembles for all levels from beginner to postsecondary, in the disciplines of violin, viola, cello, contrabass, guitar, lute, and harp.
The Senior String Orchestra is a non-auditioned community-based ensemble program offered through the CSCM Strings Department, offering students an intensive focus on the study and performance of predominantly great works of the string orchestra repertoire, occasionally expanding, on a project by project basis, to a classical sized orchestra (including winds, brass, and percussion). This orchestra is for advanced students who are playing at an RCM Grade 7 level or higher. Weekly rehearsals occur on Monday evenings for 2.5 hours within two 14-week terms that include end-of-term concerts.
Responsibilities for this position also include preparing the orchestra for participation in the VCM’s Annual Spark to Flame student showcase event, and competing in the annual Greater Victoria Music Festival. Additional performance around the Greater Victoria Area may be included as opportunities arise.
Reporting to the Head of Strings, CSCM, and as an active and contributing member of the Strings Faculty, the Conductor, Senior Strings Orchestra is an experienced performer and string pedagogue, with well established leadership skills and reputation through their work with advanced student string ensembles.
Specifically, the Conductor, Senior String Orchestra has:
- extensive knowledge of string and classical sized orchestral repertoire;
- experience programing, rehearsing, and conducting suitable repertoire for pedagogical purposes for senior student level ensemble;
- the ability to collaborate with student soloists for Spark to Flame and other soloist opportunities; and
- the ability and availability to lead ensemble in performances to promote the VCM and the orchestra at the Greater Victoria Performing Arts Festival, among other opportunities.
The VCM thanks all applicants for their interest, and will contact only those shortlisted for interviews.
Under the supervision of the Registrar, this position requires an energetic, patient, helpful and friendly person to serve as the first point of contact for VCM students, parents, clients and faculty.
- Providing excellent internal and external customer service
- Registration of students
- Basic management of student accounts (processing payments, following-up on outstanding balances, adjusting enrollments as needed)
- Answering phones and addressing and/or directing callers accordingly
- Practice space allocation
- Assisting the administrative and management staff as needed
- General reporting as regards student accounts and registration
- Production of signage, programs and posters as needed
- Processing of point of sale items
- Day-end cash-out and depositing
- Ability to multi-task and exercise good judgment when prioritizing assigned duties
- Ability to exhibit a professional and positive attitude with a commitment to quality service
- Ability to manage a multi-line telephone system
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to complete time-sensitive assignments with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure, remaining calm and focused during high-volume registration periods
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent; preference given to those with a post-secondary credential
- Recent experience working in an educational or office environment
- Music background an asset
This is a part-time position, 10-20 hours per week. This position requires a flexible schedule and some shift work (evening and weekend availability), as well as the ability to work at both the Victoria and Langford locations.
Compensation: $13.50 per hour; negotiable increase after 3-month probationary period.
Closing Date: October 1, 2017
Projected Start Date: November 6, 2017
Resumes may be submitted by e-mail, c/o the Registrar, to:
The Victoria Conservatory of Music
900 Johnson St.
Victoria, BC V8V 3N4