The VCM is a great place to work and we thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful applicants for positions at the Victoria Conservatory of Music must undertake a current Criminal Record review.
All current opportunities are listed in the tabs on this page.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at the Victoria Conservatory of Music!
The Alix Goolden Performance Hall is accepting applications for:
Casual: House Managers / Front of House Coordinators
Working with the Venues Manager, the Venues Staff are key positions within the Venues Department responsible for the supervision and operation of events at our Venues.
- Artist / Production Company Liaison
- Box Office / Concession Sales
- Event Reconciliation / Cash Handling
- Coordination of Volunteer Ushers
- Stage Management
A background in music event coordination / stage management an asset.
Candidates must be well organized with an attention to detail.
Applicants must be physically fit, have strong computer skills, and work well under pressure.
Flexibility of schedule, and a willingness to work as part of a team is essential
First Aid training an asset.
Please forward resume to:
Director of Facilities & Building Operations
Victoria Conservatory of Music
900 Johnson Street, Victoria BC V8V 3N4
No phone calls please
Compensation: House Managers $18-19/hr / Front of House Coordinators $15-16/hr
Posted October 24, 2017
The Development Department at the VCM has a mandate to acquire and advance meaningful long term relationships with a wide range of external and internal stakeholders and generate financial support through private, public and government funding, supporting the immediate, mid-term and long-term strategic goals and mission of the VCM. The Development Department develops and implements a multi-faceted sustainable revenue focused fund raising program that includes annual giving, major gift philanthropy, corporate sponsorships, legacy giving, government/foundation/organization/agency grants, constituent communications, prospective donor research and donor recognition and stewardship.
Due to an internal promotion, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) is seeking a permanent, full-time experienced Manager, Donor Relations. This individual is a hands-on, high energy self-starter, supporting and advancing an expanding integrated fundraising program. You have a natural ability for building and leveraging relationships, communicating, and creating a seamless journey for VCM donors and stakeholders by engaging them more deeply in support of its mission for the purposes of raising funds for priority needs.
Reporting to the Director of Development, and working in close collaboration with the VCM team, the Manager, Donor Relations’ primary responsibilities include growing the VCM’s annual giving, intermediate giving and legacy giving programs, overseeing Development’s web pages content, and assisting to strengthen the Conservatory’s donor base and pipeline of major and legacy giving prospective donors.
The Ideal Candidate
Systematic, strategic, and a self-motivated go-getter, the Manager, Donor Relations will be adept at engaging donors and constituents through social media, direct response, face to face, peer to peer, and donor engagement and stewardship events. As an active key member of the VCM’s committed and innovative Development team, the successful candidate will have the flexibility and open-mindedness to adapt in an evolving organization.
The successful candidate will have exceptional communications skills, and will be accomplished at adapting messages and communications to different audience groups. Comfortable with interactive technological communication tools, the Manager, Donor Relations will bring creativity to bear on ideas for engaging constituents.
The successful candidate’s exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills will allow them to excel in executing the mechanics of strategy, design, and response to appeal programs. With a strong background in service excellence, the Manager, Donor Relations will be as strong at responding to questions and donors, as they will be at initiating contact. Ambitious and goal-driven, the ideal candidate will thrive at setting and exceeding personal and work plan objectives.
Skills & Core Competencies
- Five years proven fundraising experience in progressively responsible positions
- Professional experience and demonstrable success in annual giving
- Demonstrated knowledge of legacy giving
- History of successful relationship cultivation with volunteers, donors, prospective donors and staff
- Superior writing skills, including direct mail appeals, donor correspondence, proposals and website content
- Excellent networking, presentation and interpersonal skills, including ability to encourage and motivate donors
- Superior organization skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Technological competence including the use of social media in development activities
- Excellent strategic thinking and tactical planning skills
- Strong project skills, with proven ability to prioritize and manage timelines
- Ability to develop business plans and monitor revenue and expenses budgets
- Working knowledge of CRM database systems
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment with staff, board of governors, volunteers, donors and the public
- Clear understanding of and strict adherence to ethical fundraising standards
- Ability to work flexible hours (some evenings and weekends) and accommodate occasional unplanned requests
- Passion for the Victoria Conservatory of Music’s vision, mission and goals
- Post-secondary degree or CFRE
- Valid BC Driver’s License and road worthy and insured vehicle for work daily is required
Application Deadline: Open until filled
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their applications. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted. Please submit a covering letter and resume to the email address – email@example.com
Westhills & Downtown Location
Under the supervision of the Registrar, this position requires an energetic, patient, resourceful, and friendly person to serve as the first point of contact for VCM students, parents, clients and faculty.
- Providing excellent internal and external customer service
- Registration of students
- Management of student accounts (processing payments, adjusting enrollments as needed)
- Answering phones and addressing and/or directing callers accordingly
- Assisting the administrative and management staff as needed
- General reporting as regards student accounts and registration
- Production of signage, programs and posters as needed
- Processing of point of sale items
- Day-end cash-out and depositing
- Practice space allocation
- Set-up/strike for group classes and ensembles
- Light cleaning (vacuuming, dusting, mopping)
- Ability to multi-task and exercise good judgment when prioritizing assigned duties
- Ability to work independently while maintaining excellent communication with management
- Ability to exhibit a professional and positive attitude with a commitment to quality service
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to complete time-sensitive assignments with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure, remaining calm and focused during high-volume registration periods
Education and Experience:
- Recent experience working in an educational or office environment
- Preference given to those with a post-secondary credential
- Music background and/or formal education an asset
- First aid certification, or willingness to obtain
This position is typically 20-32.5 hours per week, requires a flexible schedule (evening and Saturday availability), and the ability to work at both the Victoria and Langford locations. Generally four days per week, hours may increase or be reduced according to registration volume. While this position is based at the Langford location, downtown shifts will be scheduled regularly (approximately once or twice per week). Training will take place primarily at the downtown location.
Compensation: $13.75 per hour; with benefits and increase after 3-month probationary period.
Closing Date: December 12, 2017
Projected Start Date: January 3, 2018
Resumes may be submitted by e-mail, c/o the Registrar, to:
The Victoria Conservatory of Music
900 Johnson St.
Victoria, BC V8V 3N4