“We put magic into music every day!”
When I entered a music school for the first time in my life, I remember how excited I was as I walked through the hallways and heard so many different musical sounds coming from all around me. Knowing that I was there to also learn how to play music was an incredible moment for me. I was in the place where music was being brought to life every day, where youngsters like me who constantly had musical sounds and ideas bubbling around in their heads could develop the skills and knowledge needed to express themselves through music, and do so in a welcoming and safe learning environment.
I feel very fortunate to be able to contribute to the creative and musical environment at the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM), and see firsthand the wonderful impact the VCM has on students of all ages as they develop meaningful and unique relationships with music. I hear students of all ages and levels making music around me every day – it’s still such an exciting experience! Speaking as an educator, it is still such a magical moment when I see a student’s face light up with a big smile as they experience themselves bringing a piece of music to life for the first time. It’s like riding a bike for the first time without any assistance; there’s that great sense of accomplishment, the “I can do this!” moment. We all need these moments in life, and this is what the magic in music does.
We have over 130 highly trained professional faculty artist educators here at the VCM who are ready to help you along your musical journey. We welcome students of any age and level, from beginner to professional, offering instruction in a wide range of music genres, with modes of program delivery ranging from individual lessons to group classes, ensembles, integrated programs and self-directed online study. Our faculty also includes a very remarkable team of Music Therapists, who harnesses the unique non-verbal, creative, and affective nature of music every day, to work wonders with children as young as 18 months old, to the elderly; those of all ages with exceptionalities, conditions, or illnesses, to improve the quality of life for all.
I invite you to explore our six program areas, that together offer one of the most comprehensive and wide ranging selections of music programs you will find anywhere in Canada.
- The Department of Early Childhood Music offers programs that are built on a foundation of world renowned methodologies and approaches, and form a significant part of the VCM’s outreach program delivery in the community, brightening the day each week of infants, toddlers, and preschoolers at many locations throughout the Greater Victoria Region.
- The Ann & George Nation Conservatory School of Classical Music encompasses departments of Keyboard, Strings, Winds-Brass, Voice, as well as programs in Classical Theory, Music Theatre, the Young Artists Collegium, and the annual Spark to Flame student showcase event.
- The Chwyl Family School of Contemporary Music, a first of its kind in Canada, has brought the VCM’s inherited traditional “conservatory” music school model into the 21st century, ensuring the VCM is able to be more progressive with achieving its goal to connect through music with the whole community. This school embraces music across many genres, from folk to jazz, rock, blues, R&B, country, pop, funk, indie, and more.
- The School of Music Technology and Creativity which also features the Pitt and Shiela Linder Music Technology Lab for Creativity and Learning, has taken what was once a traditional department of Theory and Composition and transformed it into a hub of creativity and learning that goes far beyond traditional practices of teaching music theory and composition. Students of all ages can follow their unique paths, free to pursue whatever their dream might be, as emerging songwriter, sound designer, writer for video and gaming, recording engineer, music video producer, or simply for the enjoyment of being able to express themselves creatively through sound.
- The Department of Postsecondary Studies represents a testament to the power of creative minds in the 21st century. Through the VCM’s long standing partnership with Camosun College, and also with its designation through the Private Training Institutes Branch of the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills, and Training, today’s aspiring young professional musicians have access to learning experiences at the Postsecondary level provided through the VCM’s supportive and artistically inspiring community of artist mentors. Learning pathways include the Certificate in Music Creativity and Performance Foundations, Certificate in Music Technologies, and the blended Diploma in Music Performance. Our programs speak to the interests of our students, while preparing them for the modern Music Industry workplace, either directly, or via one of many transfer-credit options to North America’s most renowned universities and schools of music.
- The VCM’s Department of Music Therapy engages with the entire community, from the very young to the very old, meeting the needs of those with exceptionalities, conditions, or illnesses, and improving quality of life.
Our programs are what makes us such a wonderfully unique and amazing organization, and we look forward to welcoming you very soon at the VCM.
Let your magical experience in music begin here!
~ Stephen Green, Chief Artistic and Academic Officer (Dean), the Victoria Conservatory of Music