the BC Fiddle Orchestra
25th Anniversary Project
Daniel Lapp and the Victoria Conservatory of Music are proud to offer an exciting new three year project that gives teens an opportunity to join a new province-wide Fiddle Ensemble! The project focuses on fostering the growth of fiddle programs and Old-Time fiddle dances in BC communities. Each year we’ll seek out and mentor 10 teens from across BC who, under Daniel’s direction, will be taught a variety of fiddle tunes from BC and around the world.
Participants will also learn up to 50 old-time dance tunes and accompanying dances to teach to their communities. Participants will receive individual instruction via live video-link, special in-person lessons, and an annual gathering of all members each summer in Victoria for the Grande Fiddle Camp.
DETAILS ABOUT THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING COST AND TIMELINE
The total cost to participate in this project is just $200. The actual cost is $1200 per student, however due to great efforts raising funds for this project, the VCM is able to apply at $1000 bursary for each student.
Each participant receives:
- 6 hours of individual instruction from Daniel Lapp prior to the Grand Fiddle Camp (either via live video-link or in-person);
- 4 full days of instruction by 2-3 industry fiddle/folk music masters during the Grand Fiddle Camp, including where possible a recording session;
- Billeting with BC Fiddle Orchestra Families, assistance with local transportation, lunches and dinners provided by the VCM, and a chance to perform with the BC Fiddle Orchestra at Victoria’s famous Butchart Gardens open-air summer concert series on Thursday August 22; and
- Support through Daniel Lapp (advice, repertoire, etc) on developing a new or enhancing an existing Old-Time Dance Band in each student’s home community.
Please note: Participants will be responsible for their own travel to/from Victoria, and any additional personal costs while in Victoria, beyond what is outlined above.
Applications are due by Monday May 20 2019 sent via email to Daniel Lapp (Email Daniel Lapp)
- Sunday August 18 2019: Participants arrive in Victoria and settle in with their BC Fiddle Orchestra Family Host (to be assigned)
- Monday August 19 – Thursday August 22 2019: Four full days of intensive workshops, lessons, and masterclasses with master fiddler Daniel Lapp and guest artists. Program takes place at the Victoria Conservatory of Music’s Westills/Langford location: 210 – 1314 Lakepoint Way, Langford ( in the new YM/YWCA Complex) Phone: 778-265-5355
- Thursday August 22 2019 – late afternoon – evening: Participants join the BC Fiddle Orchestra for a live performance in Vancouver Island’s world renowned Butchard Gardens (location map link)
- Friday August 23 2019 – participants depart.
2019 Application deadline is May 20 2019
Applicants are requested to send the following via email to Daniel Lapp (see link for email address above)
Full Name, mailing address, phone, email, and date of birth.
- 3 minute playing Video (can be a YouTube or other link);
- Short bio and playing history;
- Headshot (jpg or png file); and
- Short paragraph on ‘Why I love Fiddling’ and musical aspirations.