The VCM is a great place to work and we thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful applicants for positions at the Victoria Conservatory of Music must undertake a current Criminal Record review.
All current opportunities are listed in the tabs on this page.
Please Note: While we happily accept open applications, we reserve the right to only contact applicants who may be of interest to the VCM.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at the Victoria Conservatory of Music!
Early Childhood Music Teacher
Download a copy of this posting HERE
The Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) is currently accepting applications for a part-time independently contracted teaching faculty position within the Department of Early Childhood Music (DECM), to serve off-campus sites in the Greater Victoria Area community, including the Westshore to Sooke BC, commencing Fall 2020.
The successful applicant will be an integral part of the growth and success of the VCM’s Department of Early Childhood Music, be passionate about bringing music classes to and growing positive working relationships with VCM community sites (e.g. daycares, preschools) throughout the Greater Victoria Area (as above mentioned), and be able to do so using their own means of transportation.
- A minimum of a recognized bachelor degree in Music Education and/or an Early Childhood Education degree with a strong music background;
- Experience teaching music to young children (infants to 5 years);
- Experience teaching music classes in small and large groups (4 to 20 children per group); and
- Advanced musicianship skills appropriate for leading music classes for young children.
Strengths and skills:
- Musical aptitude with a familiarity of age-appropriate music repertoire and musical activities;
- Creative and innovative approaches to teaching music to young children;
- Able to design structured music classes on specific themes with sequential musical activities using a wide range of instruments appropriate for the age group;
- Able to sing in a pitch range and volume appropriate for young children, in small to large groups;
- Effectively interact and communicate with children, parents, and staff at each community site;
- Be an integral part of the DECM Faculty team;
- Able to work independently, be well organized and punctual;
- Able to transport ECME instruments as needed to/from community sites;
- Demonstrate at all times enthusiasm, energy, respect, responsibility, and sensibility; and
- Have a passionate interest for the field of Early Childhood Music Education.
The successful candidate must provide their own transportation to and from the various program delivery sites in the community. This is a PART-TIME independently contracted position with opportunity for growth.
We invite those interested in exploring this opportunity further to submit a cover letter and resume, relevant supporting materials, and contact information for two references to:
Micki Stirling, Animateur, Office of the Dean via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions related to this posting, please contact the DECM Head directly: Dr. Johanne Brodeur, Ph.D., MTA, vie email: email@example.com
Starting Date: September 2020
Compensation: Paid monthly according to hours submitted, using the VCM’s established pay rates for in-community teaching, which includes fixed mileage rates for program delivery at community sites.
Closing Date: ongoing until position is filled.
The VCM sincerely thanks all applicants for their submissions, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Full Contract Position
Download a copy of this posting HERE
The Victoria Conservatory of Music is currently accepting applications for a full contract position as Music Therapist in the Music Therapy Department serving the VCM’s Downtown Victoria and Westhills Langford locations in BC.
The successful applicant will be an integral part of the growth and success of the VCM’s Music Therapy Department and must be passionate about bringing positive change to the community.
• A minimum of a recognized bachelor’s degree in music therapy and MTA status.
• Experience focused primarily in children and youth.
• Extensive musicianship skills.
Strengths and skills
• Musical aptitude includes familiarity with age-appropriate music repertoire.
• Music therapy interventions include extensive knowledge of intervention strategies for children and youth, use of superior improvisational skills and creativity, as well as more structured model sessions.
• Interaction and communication with participants, parents, caregivers, and staff is clear and effective.
• Ability to take initiative, problem solve, and to work independently, is complemented with a strong work ethic built on enthusiasm, positive energy, mutual respect, sensibility, sense of responsibility, and driven by a passion for the field of music therapy and for learning.
The successful candidate must provide their own transportation to and from both locations, downtown Victoria and Westhills, Langford.
This is a FULL contract position with two days per week dedicated to the VCM’s downtown Victoria location and 2 days to the Westhills location in Langford. A fifth day will be determined mutually with the successful candidate. We invite those interested in exploring this opportunity further to electronically submit a cover letter and resume, relevant supporting materials, and contact information for two references to:
Dr. Johanne Brodeur, Ph.D., MTA, MTD Head
Starting Date: September, 2020
Compensation: Beginning at $53.10 per direct contact client hour
Closing Date: Ongoing until position is filled
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Venues House Manager/ Front of House Coordinator- Casual
Working with the Venues Manager, House Managers/ Front of House Coordinators are key positions responsible for the hands on supervision and operation of events in Alix Goolden Performance Hall and the Robin and Winifred Wood Recital Hall.
The House Manager/ Front of House Coordination role is responsible for ensuring the success of show and event productions by being the key point for:
• Artist or Production Company Liaison
• Stage management
• Coordination of volunteer ushers
• Event reconciliation and cash handling
• Box office and concession sales
• Experience in music event coordination and stage management
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, be well organized, and have an attention to detail
• Must possess superior interpersonal communication and work well under pressure
• Proficiency with all Microsoft applications and general computer savvy-ness
• Flexibile schedule is required
• Physical demands of the role include working in an environment with moderate to loud noise levels, and must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
• First Aid training is an asset
Please forward your resume to:
Chief Facilities Officer
Victoria Conservatory of Music
900 Johnson Street, Victoria BC V8V 3N4
No phone calls please
Alix Goolden Performance Hall
The award-winning Alix Goolden Performance Hall is a designated Heritage site in the heart of downtown Victoria. This elegant performance hall features the original 40 foot vaulted ceiling, filigree iron railings, carved wooden pews, and intricate stained glass windows further enhancing the beautiful natural acoustics and unique experience this hall offers concertgoers.
The Alix Goolden Performance Hall was named in honour of one of the Victoria Conservatory of Music’s original founders and hosts many acclaimed international performers, authors and world class concerts while also serving the needs of the Conservatory students, faculty and the local community.
Performers who have graced the stage of Alix Goolden Performance Hall include; Bruce Cockburn, Emmy Lou Harris, Shakey Graves, Dan Mangan, Ryan Adams, Anton Kuerti, Richard Margison, Tafelmusik, Margaret Atwood, Jodi Picoult, Shane Koyczan, Diane Gabaldan, Michael Ondaatje, and David Suzuki.
Robin and Winifred Wood Recital Hall
A more intimate ambience is found in the smaller 100-seat Robin and Winifred Wood Recital Hall, formerly the Spencer Chapel, which provides space for small-scale music performances, solo recitals, lectures, and rehearsals. This charming space features zig-zag walls and stained glass windows depicting uniquely west-coast scenes: a logging truck zooming down a mountain road; a fishing boat at anchor; bathers enjoying the beach. The hall is in constant use, mostly for Conservatory needs such as graduation and other student recitals. It is also available for rental on a very limited basis.
For additional information on our Venues, visit https://vcm.bc.ca/alix-goolden-hall/