The VCM is a great place to work and we thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful applicants for positions at the Victoria Conservatory of Music must undertake a current Criminal Record review.
All current opportunities are listed in the tabs on this page.
Please Note: While we happily accept open applications, we reserve the right to only contact applicants who may be of interest to the VCM.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at the Victoria Conservatory of Music!
Early Childhood Music Teacher
Download a copy of this posting HERE
The Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) is currently accepting applications for a part-time independently contracted teaching faculty position within the Department of Early Childhood Music (DECM), to serve off-campus sites in the Greater Victoria Area community, including the Westshore to Sooke BC, commencing Fall 2020.
The successful applicant will be an integral part of the growth and success of the VCM’s Department of Early Childhood Music, be passionate about bringing music classes to and growing positive working relationships with VCM community sites (e.g. daycares, preschools) throughout the Greater Victoria Area (as above mentioned), and be able to do so using their own means of transportation.
- A minimum of a recognized bachelor degree in Music Education and/or an Early Childhood Education degree with a strong music background;
- Experience teaching music to young children (infants to 5 years);
- Experience teaching music classes in small and large groups (4 to 20 children per group); and
- Advanced musicianship skills appropriate for leading music classes for young children.
Strengths and skills:
- Musical aptitude with a familiarity of age-appropriate music repertoire and musical activities;
- Creative and innovative approaches to teaching music to young children;
- Able to design structured music classes on specific themes with sequential musical activities using a wide range of instruments appropriate for the age group;
- Able to sing in a pitch range and volume appropriate for young children, in small to large groups;
- Effectively interact and communicate with children, parents, and staff at each community site;
- Be an integral part of the DECM Faculty team;
- Able to work independently, be well organized and punctual;
- Able to transport ECME instruments as needed to/from community sites;
- Demonstrate at all times enthusiasm, energy, respect, responsibility, and sensibility; and
- Have a passionate interest for the field of Early Childhood Music Education.
The successful candidate must provide their own transportation to and from the various program delivery sites in the community. This is a PART-TIME independently contracted position with opportunity for growth.
We invite those interested in exploring this opportunity further to submit a cover letter and resume, relevant supporting materials, and contact information for two references to:
Micki Stirling, Animateur, Office of the Dean via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions related to this posting, please contact the DECM Head directly: Dr. Johanne Brodeur, Ph.D., MTA, via: email@example.com
Starting Date: September 2020
Compensation: Paid monthly according to hours submitted, using the VCM’s established pay rates for in-community teaching, which includes fixed mileage rates for program delivery at community sites.
Closing Date: ongoing until position is filled.
The VCM sincerely thanks all applicants for their submissions, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.