The VCM is a great place to work and we thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful applicants for positions at the Victoria Conservatory of Music must undertake a current Criminal Record review.
All current opportunities are listed in the tabs on this page.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at the Victoria Conservatory of Music!
VCM Faculty, Classical Bass Teacher
Position Title: Contrabass Teacher, Strings Dept., Ann & George Nation Conservatory School of Classical Music, Victoria Conservatory of Music
Application Deadline: 4:00 pm PDT, Saturday July 26, 2019
Email letter of application and one page curriculum vitae, with two references, to:
Teaching start date: September, 2019
The position includes membership on the VCM Faculty, Strings Department, and is contracted under standard teaching agreement, as service provider to the VCM.
Founded in 1964, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) has earned an outstanding reputation of quality in education, performance and music therapy. As a music school for the whole community, the VCM welcomes students of all ages and musical abilities, and offers instruction in all musical genres including classical, folk, and contemporary. Each year, over 3,000 music students and over 1800 music therapy participants experience the extensive array of programs the VCM has to offer year-round.
The Ann & George Nation Conservatory School of Classical Music (CSCM) represents the historical core program area of the VCM, offering training in traditional Western European Classical Music, and is comprised of the Departments of Keyboard, Voice, Winds & Brass, and Strings, as well as courses in Classical Theory, and the high-level Young Artists Collegium, Opera Studio, and Advanced Voice Workshop programs. The Strings Department encompasses a faculty of currently 30 members, offering Studio Instruction, Instrumental Group Classes, and Ensembles for all levels from beginner to postsecondary, in the disciplines of violin, viola, cello, contrabass, guitar, lute, and harp.
Faculty, Contrabass Teacher
- Education: Bachelor of Music, or Bachelor of Music Education, or AVCM, or equivalent
- Demonstrable skills in building, managing, and maintaining a strong teaching studio in Classical Bass
- Experience: Not less than 2 years teaching, all levels and ages
- Classical performance experience
- Build and maintain and active teaching studio in Classical Bass
- Draw and recruit Bass students to the VCM
- Develop Classical Bass students to support and participate in the VCM Conservatory School of Classical Music, and its ensembles (Introductory, Intermediate, and Senior String Orchestra), the Young Artists Collegium, Camosun Post-Secondary department, and any other relevant departments or groups at the VCM
- Regular communication with String Department Head
To apply: Email letter of application and one page curriculum vitae to:
Application Deadline for resume and support materials: 4:00 pm PDT, Saturday July 26, 2019
To Download a pdf version of this posting, please click on the following link:
Teaching to commence September of 2019. VCM Faculty are contracted on an annual basis as Independently Contracted Service Providers.
Westhills & Downtown Locations
Under the supervision of the Registrar, this position requires an energetic, patient, resourceful, and friendly person to serve as the first point of contact for VCM students, parents, clients and faculty.
- Providing excellent internal and external customer service
- Registration of students
- Management of student accounts (processing payments, adjusting enrollments as needed)
- Answering phones and addressing and/or directing callers accordingly
- Assisting the administrative and management staff as needed
- General reporting as regards student accounts and registration
- Production of signage, programs and posters as needed
- Processing of point of sale items
- Day-end cash-out and depositing
- Practice space allocation
- Ability to multi-task and exercise good judgment when prioritizing assigned duties
- Ability to work independently while maintaining excellent communication with management
- Ability to exhibit a professional and positive attitude with a commitment to quality service
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to complete time-sensitive assignments with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure, remaining calm and focused during high-volume registration periods
Education and Experience:
- Recent experience working in an educational or office environment
- Preference given to those with a post-secondary credential
- Music background and/or formal education an asset
- First aid certification, or willingness to obtain
This position is typically 25-35 hours per week, requires a flexible schedule (evening and Saturday
availability), and the ability to work at both the Victoria and Langford locations. Hours may increase
or be reduced according to registration volume. Training will take place primarily at the downtown
Compensation: $16.00 per hour; with benefits and increase after 3-month probationary period.
Closing Date: July 25, 2019
Projected Start Date: August 20, 2019
Resumes may be submitted by e-mail to:
The Victoria Conservatory of Music
900 Johnson St.
Victoria, BC V8V 3N4
The Alix Goolden Performance Hall is accepting applications for:
Casual: House Managers / Front of House Coordinators
Working with the Venues Manager, the Venues Staff are key positions within the Venues Department responsible for the supervision and operation of events at our Venues.
- Artist / Production Company Liaison
- Box Office / Concession Sales
- Event Reconciliation / Cash Handling
- Coordination of Volunteer Ushers
- Stage Management
A background in music event coordination / stage management an asset.
Candidates must be well organized with an attention to detail.
Applicants must be physically fit, have strong computer skills, and work well under pressure.
Flexibility of schedule, and a willingness to work as part of a team is essential
First Aid training an asset.
Please forward resume to:
Chief Facilities Officer
Victoria Conservatory of Music
900 Johnson Street, Victoria BC V8V 3N4
No phone calls please
Compensation: House Managers $18-19/hr / Front of House Coordinators $15-16/hr
Posted February 25, 2019