Department of Music Therapy
The non-verbal, creative, and affective nature of music facilitates contact, learning, self-expression, communication and growth. The VCM’s Music Therapy sessions meet the needs of children as young as 18 months old, to the elderly; those of all ages with exceptionalities, conditions, or illnesses, and to improve the quality of life for all.
Children, adolescents, adults and elderly people with the following may benefit from Music Therapy:
- Cognitive Impairment
- Physical challenges
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Learning difficulties
- Brain injuries
- Conduct and/or behavioural disorders
- Recovery of Mental Health from troubling life events, substance abuse, and other illness
- Palliative care and
- Sensory impairments
- Singing improves communication, speech and language skills, articulation, breath control, expression and reception
- Playing instruments increases gross and fine motor skills such as dexterity, coordination, balance, range of motion and strength, and social skills such as active participation and interaction, self-esteem and cooperation
- Rhythmic movements and dancing facilitate mobility, agility, balance, respiration patterns, muscular relaxation, spatial relationships and endurance
- Improvising offers a creative and nonverbal means of expressing feelings. Through vocal, instrumental and/or movement improvisation, one has the opportunity to make choices and deal with structure in a creative way
- Composing develops cooperation, the meaningful exchange of ideas and experiences, and increases social skills
- Active listening activities provide a stimulating way to develop cognitive skills such as attention, memory, and auditory perception skills
My foster son has literally woken up and smiles every week when I tell him “it is your music lesson today”. Some of his songs have been so passionate, we have cried over them.
– Parent of Music Therapy Student
We tailor what we do to meet your needs. Sessions are offered in private or group settings depending on condition and individual needs. Music therapists are trained to use signing, picture exchange, and other communication models if requested.
The Music Therapy studios are equipped with hundreds of instruments including grand pianos, large percussion instruments, hand-held desk bells, parachute, balls, therapeutic and electronic equipment including keyboards and computers, and a full recording studio.
Music Therapy is now offered at our three locations: Downtown Victoria, Westhills in Langford and in Nanaimo at the Nanaimo Conservatory of Music. See our Music Therapy brochure.
Music Therapy in Nanaimo
The Victoria Conservatory of Music is very pleased to be offering Music Therapy in Nanaimo and surrounding areas. In partnership with the Nanaimo Conservatory of Music, highly trained, experienced, and fully accredited VCM Music Therapists will be offering services directly at the Nanaimo Conservatory, as well as in the surrounding community. For more information, please contact:
Department Head: Dr. Johanne Brodeur
250.386.5311 ext 2030
Our sincere thanks to the companies who have supported our Music Therapy Programs.
Music Therapy Summer Camp
COVID-19: Music Therapy Summer Camp will be running!
Please click above to apply for the 2020 Music Therapy Summer Camp.
Please note: if you do not have a VCM account, you will be prompted to create one for both yourself and child prior to filling out the application form.