The Victoria Conservatory of Music is pleased to offer a financial aid program for individuals and families who need financial support in their pursuit of music education. Awards are granted to qualifying students to cover a portion of their tuition. We are grateful to the donors whose generous contributions make our bursary program possible. The following are the bursary funds that have been created to assist our students are in pursuing their musical goals.
1. VCM Bursary
Successful applicants will be awarded the VCM Bursary, which can be applied as a 30% discount on most registrations. The VCM Bursary is a pool of funds comprised of the following:
|Millicent J Archer Bursary||Norah Elizabeth Jones Jeffrey Bursary|
|Jack & Kay Barraclough Memorial Bursary||Maria Manna Bursary|
|Jack & Hilda Beastall Bursary||Michael Manning Bursary|
|Beatty Bursary – Sacred Music||Jean D. Marcus Bursary Fund|
|Ray Buckett Memorial Bursary||McAlphine, Donald Peter Bursary|
|Marjorie Corah Bursary||Emile & Mary Michaux Memorial Scholarship|
|Thomas A Crerar Memorial Bursary||Dorothy Naylor Bursary|
|Phyllis Cripps Memorial Bursary||Irene Palinkas Bursary Fund|
|Edith & Vera Critchard Bursary||Charles Palmer Organ Bursary|
|Evelyn M.R. Drake Bursary||Ivy Screech Bursary Fund|
|Thomas Henry Lewis Evans Memorial Bursary||Estate of Naomi Skinner Bursary|
|First Nations Piano Bursary||Charlton L. Smith Early Childhood Music Bursary|
|Stanley Flitcroft Bursary||Alan Soulsby Memorial Bursary|
|Margaret Gage Scholarship Fund||Victor Stringer Bursary Fund|
|Nellie & John Gillespie Bursary||TD Canada Trust Bursary|
|Captain Massy Goolden Bursary Fund||Anthony Thorn Memorial Bursary|
|Marjorie Hansen Piano Bursary||Otto Tiemann Bursary Fund|
|Judith Harreman Memorial Voice Scholarship||VCM General Endowed Bursary Fund|
|James & Gladys Henderson Bursary||Mr & Mrs Arthur Welsley Vining Bursary|
|Velda Holland Piano Bursary||Paul & Nora Wharf Scholarship/Bursary|
|I.O.D.E. Martlet Chapter Bursary||Dorothy White Bursary|
|Beatrice Coyle Widdup Bursary|
2. Eric and Shirley Charman Young Musicians’ Bursary
Successful applicants who are 25 years of age and under will be awarded the Eric and Shirley Charman Young Musicians’ Bursary, which can be applied as a 30% discount on most registrations. This will be in conjunction with the VCM Bursary for a combined 60% discount on most registrations.
Bursaries Rules and Criteria
|Application Type||Application period||Bursary Use period|
|Returning Student||Application period from March 1st to May 31st, notification by June 30th||Available against registrations for the following academic year September 01 to August 31|
|New Student||Continuous intake, all applications received by 15th of each month will be processed by the end of the month||Available for classes starting and/or lessons occurring in the following month through to August 31|
|Emergency – for returning students whose circumstances have changed||Continuous intake, all applications received by 15th of each month will be processed by the end of the month||Available for classes starting and/or lessons occurring in the following month through to August 31|
|Collegium Program Students – Seniors & Juniors but not applicable to Associates||Application period from June 1st to July 31st, notification by August 15th (extension to Labour Day for late program applicants)||Available against registrations for the following academic year September 01 to August 31|
|Summer Intensive||Application period opens February 1st. Deadlines vary depending on program, please refer to Summer Intensive page for more information||Available against registrations for Summer Intensive occurring in the following June to August|
Applications are via our online form, click here.
Financial aid is available to current students or new students wishing to enroll at the VCM. Bursaries are granted on the basis of financial need. Students who cannot demonstrate financial need will not be considered for assistance. As funds are limited, bursary eligibility is based on the following criteria:
- Income status – families whose annual household income does not exceed $80,000 as of most recent Notice of Assessment (must be for recently passed or prior tax year thereof). The Collegium Program has a separate threshold, see below. Exceptional cases may be considered (i.e. three or more siblings registered at VCM).
- Financial need – we have limited funds to give out and they are intended to assist people with limited financial means who cannot otherwise afford to enroll. Even if you are “low income”, these bursaries are not intended for those with adequate savings, investments, wealth, or other financial support.
- Student’s and family’s account at the VCM must be in good standing.
- New Student bursaries, issued outside of the standard application time period, will only be considered in cases where a student is new to the VCM (not registered in anything at the VCM in the past 24 months).
- Those who are currently receiving any Music Therapy bursaries through the VCM are not also eligible for the general VCM Bursary.
- Bursaries are for individuals only and cannot be awarded to businesses, trusts, or other organizations. In addition, any lessons, sessions, or classes being billed to or paid for by third party funding organizations or programs (such as AFU, distance learning, etc.) are not eligible.
- Collegium Program Students (Seniors & Juniors) are eligible for the Eric and Shirley Charman Young Musicians’ Bursary for families whose annual household income is below $100,000 as of most recent Notice of Assessment (must be for recently passed or prior tax year thereof). Collegium Program Students are not eligible for the general VCM Bursary since the Collegium Program already has generous scholarships applied to it. The Program is treated separately from non-Collegium activities, courses, or lessons. Students would be eligible to separately apply for other bursary categories.
- Emergency bursary applications from returning students, issued outside of the standard application time period, will only be considered in cases where financial circumstances have changed, such as job losses, etc.
- Bursaries are applied via a discount against tuitions and are not refunded nor do they have a cash value.
- The VCM reserves the right to verify all aspects of the applicant’s financial circumstances and possible resources and request further financial information if required.
- Bursary recipients may be asked to contribute some of their time and talent to the VCM as volunteers. For this purpose, the student’s name may be forwarded to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Bursaries can only be applied to tuitions paid directly to the VCM (i.e. Camosun tuition is paid directly to Camosun, therefore VCM bursaries cannot be applied).
- Bursaries cannot be retroactively applied to courses with a start date prior to awarding nor to private lessons that have already taken place.