A major cornerstone to developing the young talent at the Conservatory is the Young Artists Collegium Program.
In addition to many of our scholarship recipients being current or former Collegium members, there hasn’t been a year in recent memory where we haven’t seen our Collegium students bringing home a number of festival awards, starting with the local Greater Victoria Performing Arts Festival, and now also the BC Provincial Festival of Performing Arts.
We are proud to share the list of this year’s students who have won prizes at the BC Provincials (Winner, Runnerup, or Honourable Mention) either as soloists, as a duet or other chamber ensemble:
- Carey Wang – Honourable Mention, Senior Piano. Instructor May Ling Kwok.
- Layla Park – Winner, Senior Strings. Instructor Simon MacDonald.
- Camilo Aybar – Winner, Intermediate Woodwinds. Instructor Patricia Kostek.
- Chloe Williams – Honourable Mention, Intermediate and Senior Woodwinds. Instructor Emily Nagelbach.
- Henry Baker – Runnerup, Intermediate Brass. Instructor Joanne Allers.
- Grace Chen (Instructor Victoria Gould) and Keizhen Zhang (Junior Collegium), Winner, Junior Instrumental Duets
- Michaela and Samantha Yee, Winner, Intermediate Instrumental Duets.Instructor for both Simon MacDonald.
- Max Francis (Instructor Simon MacDonald), Joanne Jiang (Instructor Brian Yoon), Jack Yang (Instructor Patricia Kostek) (Junior Collegium “Tubman Trio”), Winner, Junior Chamber Group
- Layla Park (Instructor Simon MacDonald), Veronica Park (Instructor Simon MacDonald), Felina Yang (Instructor May Ling Kwok)(Senior Collegium “The Jelly Belly Trio”), Winner, Intermediate Chamber Group.